Friday, July 26, 2013

BOOK BLOGGER HOP July 26th- Aug 1st

I'm off work this week, having a staycation, so I'm taking part in the new Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer.




The prompt this week is:

How do you organize your books to be read? (submitted by Elizabeth at Silver's Reviews.)

My answer to this is:  Organize?

There are parts of my life that need to be organized. Reading, thank God, isn't one of them. I have overflowing bookshelves and piles of books on many flat surfaces in my house and two electronic devices that are starting to collect books that I intend to read. My system is to read what appeals to me next when I finish whatever I'm currently reading. Exceptions are books that I have to read for one of my two book groups and books that I have agreed to review for the Historical Novels Review--these have deadlines. I try not to leave books with deadlines till the last minute because I don't like feeling like I have to read a book.

I also push myself to read books for various blogger challenges. Those impose a little bit of structure on my reading, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it organization. Also, library books make their way to the top of the pile because they have a deadline of sorts, but that deadline can sometimes be flexible. (I've been known to renew a book three times and then return it, buy the book, and toss it onto the pile.)

I do feel overwhelmed at times by all the books I want to read. There are times I am resentful of my TBR pile because I don't feel justified in acquiring a new book when all those old books are staring accusingly at me. But I don't think I need a better system. It's more time that I need. 

How about you, other hoppers? Have you got systems that work well for you?

9 comments:

  1. Good system. Reading what you want when you want to is good. Those book groups do get in the way at times, don't they? :)

    I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep my books in the order I need to read them.

    Stop by for my full, organized answer if you like. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you already stopped by...thanks.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one shelf for review books then my books are in a way that only I can understand lol

    Some are organized by date, some are by author. It varies from shelf to shelf and like I said...only I can figure it out but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the feeling overwhelmed part. I look at all the stacks of books in my bedroom and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

    I try to put library books first too, but usually end up paying late fees because I wait too long to get to them.

    Thanks for stopping by my BBH!

    Ashling @ Reading, Writing, & Anything but Arithmetic

    ReplyDelete
  5. True. I feel the same way when I intend to read a newly-bought book instead of the old one that has been lying for a longer time in my shelf.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Kero

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have much of a system either, which is great as it means I can be flexible with my reading BUT it makes remembering review deadlines a nightmare! Unlike you, I'm definitely a last minute reader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there, Susan!

    Oh, I really LIKE your style! You do pretty much what I do -- read a book as the mood strikes. And I LOVE the way you started out your answer, too; sounds a lot like mine! Lol.

    You know, you've made an excellent point; why SHOULD reading be organized at all? It should be a very relaxed, no-stress activity. Of course, as you point out, you do have to get to those books you've committed to read because you belong to a book club. The same things applies to book tours. You do have to read those books before a certain deadline. But other than that, why organize at all? Ah, the free-spirited life! So you see, great minds think alike! Right? Lol!

    Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting on my BBH post!! : )

    (BTW, I'm now following you!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan I totally agree with you, I need more time to read! Why didn't anyone think of that?

    My Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pretty orderly about my reading schedule-I use iCal to track release dates and whatnot but my physical books are kind of a mess. ARCs that haven't been read stay on the floor in various piles until they are read as the shelves are reserved for books I have read and enjoyed. I really need to do some reorganizing just to make my house more habitable for others.

    ReplyDelete