Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mailbox Monday: Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger

Mailbox Monday is a meme created by Marcia at A Girl and Her Books, that is now being hosted at different blogs on a monthly basis. This month, you can find Mailbox Monday links at A Sea of Books. Come have a look at the books we're all collecting!

On Friday after work I made my sad, sad pilgrimage to Borders. Although we’ve seen it coming for a long while, it doesn’t make it any easier.

I didn’t go hog-wild though. I bought a few books for my son who went with me. But as I wandered through the aisles, commonsense prevailed. I have to put a dent in my TBR pile before I heap anything more onto it. So I bought only one book for myself.

Years ago, my sister told me I should read Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. My sister doesn’t recommend very many books to me. (Ella Minnow Pea was one, and it quickly became one of my favorites.) She couldn’t really describe to me what Franny and Zooey was about, she just said I had to read it. I’ve picked it up and put it down at bookstores a hundred times. I’ve contemplated taking it out of the library. It’s one of those books that is always there, so I’ve felt no urgency about getting to it. But now, here it was at the Borders going-out-of-business sale. So I decided it was time.

I now own a copy. I guess that means I really do have to read it.

5 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read that one for a while now, will be interested to hear your thoughts once you've read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding a copy at Borders was a sign it's time for you to read this one. Have a great week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one years ago and loved it. I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad about Borders also. I have yet to visit ours. I too need to read some books before purchasing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend's mom actually just gave me that book to read too! It's one of my next reads. Hopefully you and I both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete