Sunday, June 26, 2011

MAILBOX MONDAY: A bonanza of historical fiction



So I'm a little late getting this post together. Mailbox Monday is being hosted by The Bluestocking Guide this week/month. Next week it will switch, so check for details to participate. Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for book bloggers to share their new acquisitions and another way for book bloggers to get to know one another.

These are the books I brought home from the Historical Novel Society conference last weekend.

Books that I purchased and had signed were:
1. Great Maria by Cecelia Holland. (Yes, I've already read it and have my own tattered, treasured copy. But I didn't have a signed copy and this is one of my all-time favorite books by one of my favorite authors. I had to make room in my suitcase for it.)
2. The Queen of Last Hopes by Susan Higginbotham. (I loved The Stolen Crown so I'm looking forward to reading this one.)
3. By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan (Has been getting awesome reviews and the author is a super nice guy.)

I was thrilled to get a goody bag packed with these books:

Queen by Right by Anne Easter Smith
The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons
Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn
Noah's Wife by T.K. Thorne

And that was absolutely all I could cram into my luggage. So as soon as I got home I ordered:
The King's Mistress by Emma Campion  and
Like Mayflies in a Stream by Shauna Roberts

I can't seem to make my TBR pile get any smaller!

11 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on The Summer Garden...and The Queen of Last Hopes looks good. Enjoy!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. You received some wonderful books this past week. I've read and enjoyed a couple of them (Queen of Last Hopes and Mistress of Rome) and have a few others patiently waiting on my shelf.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The King's Mistress! It was one of the first review books I ever received and my face dropped to the floor with my eyes popping out at the sight of the package in the mail box.

    Great list of books and if I could covet your books ... I WOULD! :)

    Enjoy the reads

    PS The kids with US postal outfits & mailbox peeping out at us... ahhh too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of interesting books. Queen by Right is one that I have on my wishlist. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Mailbox!! Mistress of Rome was one of my stops on my reading tour of Italy and I thought it was pretty awesome. I recently read and enjoyed Queen By Right and By Fire, By Water, too. Thanks for stopping by today! Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous mailbox. I have only read the Kaplan book which was very very good. Enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am reading The Summer Garden right now and I am loving it- great mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did get a nice bunch of historicals. How fun and I hope they are all great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely wonderful mailbox! By Fire, By Water made my Top Ten List for last year! A really good book! Queen by Right has been getting awesome reviews, and The King's Mistress was very good as well! Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lot of great-sounding historical fiction. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. By Fire, By Water has been on my radar for a while. Nice goody bag books too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete