Sunday, June 12, 2011

BACK FROM EUROPE!

I've gone missing for the past couple weeks because my family and I went on our long-anticipated European vacation. Actually, we only went to two cities in Europe: Paris and Venice. We spent 8 days in Paris, then flew to Venice for 3 days, then back to the Paris airport and home.

It was one of the best vacations we've ever had.

We had perfect weather in Paris (an unusual occurrence for our family vacations) and packed in an incredible amount of sightseeing. What an awesome city. It was surprisingly manageable (thanks to the extremely efficient metro) for all its bustle and crowd. We had tons to see but managed to get to most of our "must see" list.

And Venice is so completely different from anything else with its mazes of canals and tiny streets. The beautiful old buildings had us gaping and sighing. Unfortunately, the weather turned on us in Venice, so we got wet whenever we went out, but we still had a great time.

I did get some reading done on the plane rides, but not as much reading as I usually do on vacations. We never stopped moving! Reviews to come include my next Back to the Classics challenge- I finally read Uncle Tom's Cabin. And maybe I'll let you know how I'm adapting to my Nook, purchased for the trip.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Welcome back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought you were being quiet. How fantastic. I know that you usually blog books, I'm always thrilled to see pictures of Paris if you have any you want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I love the Paris metro (it was one of my favorite things to do when I was there 2 years ago, lol). I've been dying to go to Venice ever since reading Cornelia Funke's The Thief Lord and Thomas Mann's Death in Venice. It seems like a really beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, sounds like fun! I've never been to either place, although I have been to the UK. I'm sure they were beautiful, and I hope to see a few posted pics! :)

    Hope you liked the Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great time! Its a dream of mine to go to Paris one day. The only time I've "been to" Europe was when the planes stopped to refuel at the airports there on my way to and from Iraq.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. Paris and Venice are two of my favourite cities in Europe.

    ReplyDelete