Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Literary Blog Hop- March 3-6: Can Literature be funny?

It's time for the Literary Blog Hop hosted by The Blue Bookcase. Hop on over to see the suggestions for participation. If you enjoy literary works (defined as texts with aesthetic merit) join us for the hop.

This week's question is from Gilion from Rose City Reader:

Can literature be funny? What is your favorite humorous literary work?

My answer: Yes, of course, literature can be funny. Satire is often funny, although it helps to be familiar with the object being mocked. I am very fond of witty repartee. And I like clever use of language. Not puns, exactly, but people being silly with words.

Many literary books have amusing scenes even though I wouldn't call the books themselves funny. I guess the first favorite humorous literary work that comes to mind is Ella Minnow Pea. Others will probably come to me as I reflect on the question, but Ella Minnow Pea was light-hearted and fun. It combined satire and clever word play. And it was an epistolary novel filled with witty exchanges.

I'll enjoy this hop as I look for other entertaining books to read!
Literary Blog Hop

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read Elle Minnow Pea and often wonder why I'm not drawn to funny/witty books!

    Have you read Getting Rid of Matthew? This was funny (not haha funny but funny).

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one, although I do really like the cover. Pretty intelligent comment, I know.

    See my hop here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/literary-blog-hop-ha-ha-funny.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I liked Ella but I'm sad to say that most wise people would state that this novel is not literary. Sorry. Can't be literary and funny. We must stick with the Serious.

    Here's my post for this week's Literary Blog Hop: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/welcome-to-literary-blog-hop-hosted-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look into Ella Minnow Pea as I've never heard of it but it sounds delightful. I love the word play of the title :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Ella Minnow Pea but it sounds like an intriguing premise. I may have to flip through it next time I'm at a bookstore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always meant to read Ella Minnow Pea but never did. I love your blog and will follow now. Thanks for visiting mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love clever wordplay and satire is a great form of humor. I've never read Ella Minnow Pea, but it's always nice to hear of a new book and to add it to that ever growing TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not heard of this, but anything that has great word play & satire is worth a look. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definitely check out Ella Minnow Pea, since I love epistolary novels. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WEll, I haven't even heard of Ella Minnow Pea. I'm off to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation

    ReplyDelete