Friday, March 4, 2011

BOOK BLOGGER HOP: Rooting for the bad guy

It's time for the Friday book party. Come on over to the book blogger hop hosted by Crazy for Books. Meet other book lovers and share the fun.

This week's question posed by Mia at Girl About Books:

Who's your all-time favorite book villain?

My answer is a bit of a cheat. My favorite villain is Francis Crawford Lymond from The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett. So wicked, so sly, so unfeeling-- he is brilliant and daring and breaks every rule of his hidebound social class. He defies his loved ones, rejecting them, treating them in a humiliating fashion. He is utterly brutal. We see him from the point of view of him enemies and those who used to be his friends as they track his movements and try to figure out what he is doing--and catch him at it. But choosing him is a cheat because Lymond is an anti-hero. Wretched as he is, you fall in love with him and find yourself rooting for his success- whatever it is he's trying to accomplish. And you read frantically to find out if it will all work out in the end, or if Lymond really is as despicable as everyone thinks he is.

Book Blogger Hop

8 comments:

  1. Lymond sounds like a very interesting character. I'll have to check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Book Are Life - Vita Libri.

    Have a great weekend!
    :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! I just started following your blog and I hope you'll take the time to stop by mine and do the same!

    http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    Thanks! I look forward to reading your future reviews. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping by this grey Saturday.
    I struggled with this week's question.

    I try not to like villains.
    :)
    carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping through. I've heard great things about Dorothy Dunnett's books. I know she has several series. Which should I start with?
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Game of Kings sounds like a book I would love. I love every time I come by and see your fab header.

    I love this week's question..Stopping by from the Blog Hop.

    Stop by my blog for a book giveaway and my answer:

    LITTLE PRINCES BY CONOR GRENNAN

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/

    Chelsey Emmelhainz of HARPER COLLINS is graciously providing FIVE copies for five lucky winners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of that book, but Francis Crawford sounds like a very interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of that book but it sounds really interesting. As I said in my answer I find it difficult to find a bad guy that is truly bad - it's usually more talk and not through actions.

    ReplyDelete