I'm ready to sign up for my second challenge for 2013-- the TBR pile challenge, hosted by Roof Beam Reader. Since I'm at 11/12 books for this year's TBR challenge, and think/hope I'll finish off the last book before year's end, I think I'm up for the 2013 challenge also.
This year I'm signing up for a different TBR challenge just for a little variety and because I like the idea of trying to commit to the books ahead of time. Looking at my overfull shelves, I see so many books that I was thrilled to purchase, eager to read, and yet, pass by again and again when I'm looking for "that next book to read." What a sense of accomplishment I'll feel when I finally get those pages turned. I won't have quite so much guilt about buying more books.
Roof Beam Reader's challenge is to read 12 books in 2013. They have to be published in 2011 or earlier, so that they've been sitting on your shelf for at least a year. You have to pick them out ahead of time, but you are allowed two alternates, just in case.
The books all have to be reviewed and then linked back to RBR. Check out THIS POST for detailed instructions and to find the linky.
So, here are my 12 books and 2 alternates:
1. Private Life by Jane Smiley
2. The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester
3. The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
4. Passion by Jude Morgan
5. Soulless by Gail Carriger
6. The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney
7. The Lady and the Poet by Maeve Haran
8. King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett
9. Mystic River by Dennis Lehane
10. The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff
11. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
12. A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft
1. A Patchwork Planet by Anne Tyler
2. The Transit of Venus by Shirley Hazzard