Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WAITING ON WEDNESDAY: Dreams of Significant Girls by Cristina Garcia

This is my first Waiting on -Wednesday post. "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


Sometimes I get book recommendations in unexpected ways. I never used to catch the NPR book reviews, but now, every once in awhile, I'm in the car when they're on. Several books have grabbed my attention. I can't read them all, but there are a few that stick in my brain and even though they aren't my usual fare I feel compelled to read them.

The first book that NPR introduced me to (one I never would have picked up otherwise) was Cristina Garcia's The Lady Matador's Hotel. I loved the writing. And now, the author has a new release coming out in July. It's YA, and it sounds fantastic.

Here's the publisher's blurb for Dreams of Significant Girls by Cristina Garcia:

Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Brought together each summer at a boarding school in Switzerland, three girls learn a lot more than just French and European culture. Shirin, an Iranian princess; Ingrid, a German-Canadian eccentric; and Vivien, a Cuban-Jewish New Yorker culinary phenom, are thrown into eachother's lives when they become roommates. This is a story of 3 paths slowly beginning to cross and merge as they spend the year apart, but the summers together. Through navigating the social-cultural shoals of the school, developing their adolescence, and learning the confusing and conflicting legacies of their families' past, Shirin, Ingrid, and Vivien form an unbreakable bond.

Like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, this story takes readers on a journey into the lives of very different girls and the bonds that keep them friends.

4 comments:

  1. GREAT pick! I'm really looking forward to this one, it's on my wishlist! Here’s my WoW post! ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick!
    I love the cover very summery.

    Jules
    http://thegreatthegoodandthebad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to WoW...so glad you're joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this one from the S&S GG. Can't wait to read it.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-19.html

    ReplyDelete